- Several schools have requested registration up to this point so the contest will probably run on Tue Feb 3rd as planned.
- All you need to do to sign up initially is to email me! I will email you the Reg. Form and Rules/Procedures within 24 hours. Complete the form (about 5 minutes) and email it back and you're officially registered! (dmarain "at geemaill dot com")
- A team of students should be able to complete most of the problems in 45 minutes or less. It is not necessary to keep students for the full 90 minutes! The extra time was provided for students to enter their answers/solutions electronically.
- Scanned student solutions will be accepted if format is followed.
- Return registration form ASAP even if you have not yet identified the 6 participants. The team can have fewer than 6 members (but at least 2).
- The contest questions are copyrighted, therefore I will probably not publish all of them on this blog although I will provide some samples of questions and student responses for discussion purposes on this blog.
- After the contest is over, participating schools will receive results, answers, suggested solutions and certificates via email. At that time, if anyone else is interested in receiving a copy of the questions, email me.
- If you like the idea of this kind of contest and would be interested in signing up for the next one (probably in March), let me know via email or comments.
- I will send a template for Certificates of Participation for your school and individual participants. Top-scoring schools will receive a Certificate of Merit.
After getting several helpful comments and suggestions, I have now made an "official" decision (always subject to last minute changes of course!) regarding the date and details of our first contest. I chose this date to accommodate schools' exam weeks. The date is also a week before AMC-10 and -12. I will run this event if I get at least 6 schools participating. Pls spread the word to your friends in other schools. I understand there is not much time to consider this but the registration process and administration of the test should not be too burdensome.
DATE OF CONTEST: TUE FEB 3rd 2009
- WINNING TEAMS WILL BE RECOGNIZED ON MATHNOTATIONS AND WILL RECEIVE SCHOOL AND INDIVIDUAL CERTIFICATES!
- INTERESTED SPONSORS SHOULD EMAIL IMMEDIATELY (see address below) TO RECEIVE REGISTRATION FORM AND RULES/PROCEDURES!
- DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: TUE JAN 27th
- CONTEST WILL BE EMAILED TO SPONSORS BY JAN 30TH
- SUITABLE GRADE LEVELS: 7-12 (Some questions can be handled by Middle School students)
- 90 MIN TIME LIMIT - FLEXIBLE RANGE OF TIMES FOR ADMINISTRATION!
TEAMS WILL BE ABLE TO PERFORM WELL EVEN IF ONLY 45 MIN ARE AVAILABLE!
- CONTENT: Up to and including precalculus; emphasis on Algebra II
- CALCULATORS ALLOWED
- FEE: NONE!
What makes this contest different?
- Team event - Up to 6 participants may work together!
- All answers/solutions must be submitted electronically
- Some multistep and open-ended questions
- FREE! (At least this first one is!)
- Separate acknowledgments on MathNotations given to Middle and High School teams
- All students will receive a Certificate of Participation and top-scoring schools and students will receive a Certificate of Merit via email.