There is still time to register for the upcoming MathNotations Third Online Math Team Contest, which should be administered on one of the days from Mon October 12th through Fri October 16th in a 45-minute time period.
Registration could not be easier this time around. Just email me at dmarain "at" "gamil dot com" and include your full name, title, name and full address of your school (indicate if Middle or Secondary School).
Be sure to include THIRD MATHNOTATIONS ONLINE CONTEST in the subject/title of the email. I will accept registrations up to Fri October 9th (exceptions can always be made!).
- Your school can field up to two teams with from two to six members on each. (A team of one requires special approval).
- Schools can be from anywhere on our planet and we encourage homeschooling teams as well.
- The contest includes topics from 2nd year algebra (including sequences, series), geometry, number theory and middle school math. I did not include any advanced math topics this time around, so don't worry about trig or logs.
- Questions may be multi-part and at least one is open-ended requiring careful justification (see example below).
- Few teams are expected to be able to finish all questions in the time allotted. Teams generally need to divide up the labor in order to have the best chance of completing the test.
- Calculators are permitted (no restrictions) but no computer mathematical software like Mathematica can be used.
- Computers can be used (no internet access) to type solutions in Microsoft Word. Answers and solutions can also be written by hand and scanned (preferred). A pdf file is also fine.
The following is a sample of the open-ended "proof-type" questions on the test:
Explain why each of the following statements is true. Justify your reasoning carefully using algebra as needed.
The square of an odd integer leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by
I may post a sample solution to this or you can include this in your comments to this post.