Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Unique Math Blog and Website

I'm sure many of my readers out there are aware of Tanya Khovanova. Including her blog in my blogroll is long overdue and was a result of ignorance on my part. I've corrected that oversight and, now that I have discovered and enjoyed some of her essays, I want to share this with the rest of you. Brilliant (winning a Gold Medal in the IMO might suggest that!) and witty, her writing style is original and provocative. BTW, we share a passion for linguistic puzzles although I don't consider that unusual for those with a math bent. I strongly recommend you visit her website, Tanya Khovanova's Home Page as well as her blog. Her site contains a rich mine of creative and challenging problems. One of my favorite 'puzzles' is called Fly Droppings On Your Pizza. Click on Read more for further details...




Her most recent article, Multiple Choice Proofs, is a fascinating discussion of how to improve assessments (math contests in particular) which tend to be multiple choice here in the US and proof-oriented in her native Russia. Tanya suggests a compromise between those two extremes ("balance!") offering some alternatives one of which would involve artificial intelligence (AI) to evaluate proofs. I've always believed it might be possible to evaluate one's writing using an algorithmic approach but the obstacles certainly seem formidable at this time.

I also posted a couple of comments on her "About" page. I included a challenge mental math problem for her talented son, Sergei, to attempt. It may not appear for awhile as her comments are moderated. I may post it here as well...


No comments: