Many readers of this post objected to the scientific fallacy in asking for per cent change in temperature even if the arithmetic is correct. I completely concur with these criticisms and have a posted a definitive explanation below quoted from a knowledgeable meteorologist...
[ALSO: IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, TAKE A LOOK AT A NEWER POST ON DEVELOPING RATIO SENSE FOR MIDDLE SCHOOLERS.]
Just something for you or your students to consider as we are still in a deep freeze in some parts of the country.
- Why multiple choice? Would the question be better asked in an open-ended way? Could this appear on a standardized test in this form?
- Does the negative sign affect the outcome?
- Is % change an important topic?
- When should students be expected to know how to do this?
- What are some effective instructional strategies and/or methods for this?
- (F) None of the above?