Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sequel to "What did Pi say to i?" and more...

I can't believe I'm doing this but one of my students asked me if I heard the other half of the joke. Here's the original:

"What did pi say to i?"
"Get real!"

Here's the other half:
"What did i say to pi?"
"Be rational!"
[Ok, at least it's not about Math Wars and Learning Styles!]

At that moment I became possessed and asked:
"What did one-half say to one?"
"You're so full of yourself!"

I'm afraid of where this will lead so I'll sign out now. So, do math teachers really have the corniest sense of humor and do they really think they're funny?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day, Jesus said to his disciples: "The Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9."
A man who had just joined the disciples looked very confused and asked Peter: "What, on Earth, does he mean by that?"
Peter replied: "Don't worry - it's just another one of his parabolas."

Jackie Ballarini said...

In response to your last two questions, I can only speak for myself-- yes and yes!

Dave Marain said...

justin--
nice!

Of course, if asked, "Did you make that up yourself?" don't we usually reply, "Uh, I heard it somewhere" - unless of course someone really laughs at it!

jackie--
and we're proud of it too!

Ever notice that everyone groans at these but secretly we know they think some of these are really funny! Laughter is survival!

mathmom said...

I think a math joke can be a groaner and still be funny, at least to a math geek. ;-)

Like Justin's -- that's a total groaner, but I still passed it on...

I already posted my favorite math joke here so you can judge for yourselves about my sense of humor. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Q. What do you call an aging mathematician?

A. Over the Hilbert.

Dave Marain said...

Eric--
I couldn't top that (although I think I might be that over-the-hill math guy!). Now can we devise a play on words for Srinivasa Ramanujan!