- Here's my most recent Twitter Problem of the Day:
How many 3-digit positive integers are there in which the absolute value of the difference of their hundreds' and units' digits equals 4?
For students: Reply on Twitter, Facebook or my email (email@example.com) by 12-6-10.
For everyone else: Comments are always welcome but please hold off on solutions until 12-6-10. Thanks!
- I've been contacted again by the Education Editor of Parent Paper magazine, a well-known publication here in North Jersey. I was asked to write a piece on helping parents to help their children with schoolwork, particularly in math. I'm reprinting here in full since it will be most likely edited down to a few sentences. Most of the general suggestions are obvious but sometimes I feel that the obvious needs to be stated. I'm basing this on my experience with 7 children, 4 grandkids and over 30 foster children.
- And now for the latest offerings from my 3-year old grandson. The last time I posted his "muffin" comments, I had more views than from any math post in 3 years!
- My daughter has been trying to get him to go to sleep without her staying in the room. She told him that his 3-yr old cousin, with whom he is very close, is getting big now. My daughter commented, "Her mommy reads her a story, gives her a goodnight hug and leaves." My grandson replied, "Do you think I could do that, mommy?" "Of course", my daughter replied, to which my grandson immediately came back with, "Ok, but not tonight!"
- He is all boy, all the time. Aggressive, loves contact sports and is becoming a rabid NY Giants football fan like his daddy. He wears his Giants shirt on game day and can throw his little football with velocity. After seeing him throw the football a couple of times like a pro the other day, she said, "Wow, you threw the football really well, twice." "No, mommy, only once", he replied. "Are you sure? I saw you throw it twice", my daughter asked. "Yes, mommy, the other time was the highlights!"
"All Truth passes through Three Stages: First, it is Ridiculed... Second, it is Violently Opposed... Third, it is Accepted as being Self-Evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer (1778-1860)
You've got to be taught To hate and fear, You've got to be taught From year to year, It's got to be drummed In your dear little ear You've got to be carefully taught. --from South Pacific